Monday, May 7, 2012

More maintenance then sailing

Sunday morning started off cold and dreary, therefore after trips to two West Marine I set about the list of maintenance items which included changing the fuel filters, bleeding the lines and restarting the engine. A new task I had not done before was to change the belt that drives the raw water pump. It is difficult to find instructions on how to do this online. As with most of these items a little common sense prevails. The difficulty is that the raw water belt is behind the V-belt. So as shown in this sequence of images I first removed the V belt cover, then loosened the alternator so that I could take off the v belt. Subsequently the raw water pump had to be taken off its mounts so that there was enough slack to take off the belt. Then reverse the order (with a new belt) and everything worked. - Front view of the engine (Yanmar 3YM30) from inside the boat (Catalina 350 mkII)
V belt cover removed
Alternator loosened (bolt is accessible from the front) to allow the v-belt to be removed
Raw water pump physically disconnected to allow removal of belt
After cleaning and reorganizing in the galley we got ready to set sail. Winds were about 10kts out of the NE so we tacked along the main channel of the harbor to President's Roads. On our return we then either ran - wing on wing - or were on a borad reach to the marina. In the picture of the headsail you can see a patch near the top of the sail that was attached by Doyle Sails (Salem MA) over the winter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure if I knew what I was really looking at, I'd be super impressed with those engine pics...but I don't. So, good job on the repair? And you got a patch! What's next - fire making? Outdoor survival? Cookie selling? Plenty of patches to earn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been rubbing sticks together but no luck yet. I need to take lessons from Dan about that and the survival stuff. Will keep trying to get the patches. Come on up, I'll show you the engine, maybe let you help with maintenance and you could even earn a patch yourself..

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete