Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cleaning the waterline

It may be only January 13th 2013, but its 48F outside so we can start preparations for the new season that is only 3.5 months away. One of the first steps is to clean the waterline of biological discoloration. There are several approaches - hard ones and easy ones. I have found that "On/Off hull bottom cleaner" works extremely well. I paint it on over a length of about 10 feet, then follow with a wet cloth to wash away the cleaner and the dirt. The biggest problem is that because one is at the waterline its easy to get bottom paint smudging up to the fiberglass. However, I use a second dry cloth and remove all remnants. I took last season's stains off the waterline in 45 minutes all around a 36foot sailboat. I highly recommend this cleaner. However, it is caustic - wear gloves and eye protection - and don't breath in the fumes. Apply in a well ventilated area and wash away excess cleaner.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you would like to borrow my respirator? You would have to get your own canisters, though.

    ReplyDelete