Sunday, June 28, 2015

Climbing the mast


We delayed the beginning of our sailing vacation because of a storm that is going on today. I didn’t fancy the prospect of the winds gusting to 50kts, 10 ft seas or just sitting out the day in a marina so close to the beginning of the trip. Instead we stayed home and attending to the never ending list of boat jobs.

Recent accomplishments include clearing the head holding tank air vent of a blockage. Yes, you guessed what it was. When I came home I was banished from being near family in case of contamination.

Yesterday I decided to go up the mast to check out some items. I have been meaning to do this for a year or more and purchased a ATN mastclimber. I don’’t want Yolande to have to try to winch me to the top. However, when I tried last year I wasn’t strong enough and I don’t like heights. Recently I have been going to the gym and am much stronger so I decided a vacation day was a good opportunity to try this. So up I went.

Although going up is relatively easy I found coming down to be more difficult. After waking early this morning I researched online and found a site on L-36.com where Allen Edwards has researched 6 methods forunassisted ascent and descent. It’s a great site where many issues related to sailing are discussed and today I ordered the GriGri system. After vacation I will try it and will report back.



No comments:

Post a Comment