Sunday, August 21, 2011

Had another wonderful solo sail on Sunday. After sleeping in due to the previous late night sail I headed out of the north channel and off on a different route. Rather then head around north of Graves lighthouse, I decided to head through a small channel - Hypocrite channel. I had not gone in this direction before because of the need for careful chart use. However, today it turned out that storms helped me make the decision. As I looked back to Boston (west) I couldn't see the skyline and could see lightening. It looked like the storm was moving in a north westerly direction. Consequently I decided to head south away from it. Snaking through the islands was the answer. Although there was a lot of threatening thunder I escaped the worst of the storm.

I circled around Outer Brewster Island and back into the Hull gap/entrance to the harbor. As I entered the narrows a race was on! I was following a Bavaria 37 (we are a catalina 350) so I thought we had al least a fighting chance. The race continued all of the way in to the coastgaurd station in Boston ~ 6 nm. We sailed through the lower middle channel and were neck and neck all of the way with victory being claimed close to the coastgaurd station. Winds were variable 10-20 kts which meant I had to keep on my toes. At the end of the race the crew of both boats waved to one another - I think I had a little smirk also.

Entering Hypocrite Channel. Thought I said never to go there!

Imposing skyline north. Can't see boston. Heading south. First solo storm!

No comments:

Post a Comment