Sunday, August 21, 2011

Returning to boston at midnight
This was my first solo night sail and it was a blast. I left the marina at about 6pm and sailed on a single starboard tack out, and a port tack back. I exited through the north channel to the Graves lighthouse. Recently i have been taking the less conservative route of passing close to the lighthouse through a narrow channel to the west of the lighthouse. With this strategy i was able to get on a close reach and sail to Minots lighthouse. Dinner consisted of a saioimg staple - mashed potatoes, peas and canned tuna. My family know that this is an essential ingredient of life.

The moon didnt rise until about 11pm so there was a great view of the stars. i practiced radar alarms and the warch commander which sends an alarm if I dont press a button for a preset time. I even managed to catnap occaisionally, an essential behavior for solo sailors.

I turned around at Minots ligjthouse and sailed back past Hull, through the Narrows and back home. i arrived in the marina at 12:30 am and did one of my worst docking maneouvers. Glad it was the early morning so that nobody was watching.

In this trip I realised how much i like the isolation of heading out to sea. I dont have to be on my own, but getting away from lights and other boats is so relaxing. Once I turned around to head for Boston I wanted to be back because the process of getting through the channels is becoming a little tedious.

Next week off to Europe for business and a little R and R. Maybe over labor day weekend i will take a 2 day voyage. If others want to sail with me i willdo as they prefer because i enjoy taking people out. If not - well we will see where....

Time to clean up and prepare for today's voyage.

No comments:

Post a Comment