Wednesday, June 8, 2011

single handed sailing (leg 14)

Throughout 2010 I did not do a single handed sailing trip. since the new season is upon us I decided it was time to test the waters again. While I have no concerns about sailing per se, my biggest worry was coordinating the marina as there is nobody there as a backup for worst case situations. The first obstacle to overcome was how to deal with four docklines - two stern, a spring and bowline. This took about an hour of thought and testing. Although I had offers of help, I wanted to do it all myself. I had a 12 kt wind of the stern starboard quarter which meant that as soon as i cast off the bowline, the bow moved to port towards the neighboring boat before i could cast off the other lines and get on board. Then a stroke of brilliance occurred. I put the boat in reverse which lightly held her against the dock allowing me to cast off the bow and spring line, then get on the boat, cast off the stern lines and then move to forward gear. It worked.

After this sailing was wonderful - There was an easterly wind so
I tacked out to spectacle, then was on a run back in to the marina. Only one obstacle remaining - docking. I reversed in and docked perfectly. But there was no audience to appreciate this remarkable maneuver! Finally, I checked the fridge and there was an IPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment