Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 6 - Rockland to somewhere east - it ended up being southwest harbor

9am - Had a relaxing night in Rockland Maine. Most of the shops were closed (it was Sunday) so the shopping tour was abbreviated (phew). We ended up eating at Park Street Grille which specializes in Mexican food. We had a delicious calamari with a curry sauce (not very mexican but very tasty) followed by lobster and shrimp stuffed tacos (yolande) and a lobster. After I ordered I was asked why I ordered Lobster in a Mexican restaurant. I guess sometimes I dont read the menu! So to make up for it I drank as many frozen Margaritas as possible (two).

Yesterdays docking fee was a record low of $72. However we did have to put quarters in per minute for showers. I didnt think this would be a problem - we only need two, one for me and one for Yolande. So we got eight, one for me and ...... Thank goodness they dont take dollar bills otherwise we would still be tied up to the dock.

Today as we head east we are on a run with mild winds. I dont think sailing gets better than yesterday, so although today is a little less exciting at least I can post to the blog. Breakfast is being made - will report back with contents later.

I am reliably informed that the dish that was served was "Breakfast Melange" (I am also informed that the first e should have an acute accent, but I have no idea how to do that). This delightful dish was comprised of tricolor Quinoa, plain yoghurt mashed banana and blueberries (for those of you playing at home spot the difference from yesterday).

Sailed through much of the day at a relatively slow pace (ie relative to yesterday), took a very tricky course traversable by only the most skilled sailors, or so my wife tells me since she was at the helm for most of the day. We went through three thorofares and had a race, which we won. You may note that we always seem to win the races. Of course we wouldnt report the others if they happened to occur.

New wildlife sighted today. But we cant upload yet because we have no wireless connection. It was a moth of some sort and hopefully one of you can identify it and send us a message, when we upload the picture. It was nestled for most of the time on Yolande's towel that was hanging on the lifeline. She is now deeply concerned that, like some cheesy horror movie its laid eggs on her towel that will enter her ears when she dries her hair and will erupt at some point from her body.

There was also a hawk in a nest on the daymarker at the entrance to the marina. No horror stories from that, though if it pecks my eyes out I will let you know.

Dinner was at cafe dry dock inn. Quite nice, except for the bleeding sun shining in my eyes. Great local oysters, good crab cakes and smoked salmon, crap local wine. NO ROOM FOR DESSERT! Speaking of Dessert, we learned today that there is some controversy about how to pronounce Mount Dessert Island - apparently some put the stress on the first syllable and some on the second. The original name (l'Isle de Monts Desert) was french, which probably explains the problem. to make matters worse for me, the marina we are staying in is called Dysarts Grand Harbor Marina. As I was hailing the marina I kept pronouncing it "Desert" instead of "Die-sarts". No wonder they didn't want us in the marina. However, the upside, is after we tied up (the boat), had a beer or two, they had left the office. Perhaps this will be the least expensive docking yet!

Overall we have put about 240nm on the boat in this trip, and many days are left. We may spend a few days of shorter trips and enjoy the local scenery (I hope that doesnt include shopping). Will try to upload some pictures later.

3 comments:

  1. For a shorter trip, head to Jonesport. For something on par with what you've been doing, go to Jonesboro, which is in Englishman Bay (how apropos)! PS good thing you didn't go around the corner to Bar Harbor, it's in FRENCHMAN BAY! Ooh froggies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel - we jusut went to Bar Harbor and Frenchman Bay - they let us out.

      Delete
  2. Just like a bunch of froggies to surrender!

    ReplyDelete